Everyone seems to be talking about the reports of vaping-linked lung injuries that swept across the United States recently. As a result, those who weren’t well-acquainted with vape products are trying to find out more about vaping.
The vaping industry has grown exponentially in recent years; however, many people are not aware of what exactly is vaping. Despite the skyrocketing popularity of e-cigarettes, many of us have questions about vaping, vaporizers, and other vape products. In this guide, I will be covering most of these questions.
What is vaping?
Vaping can be described as an act of inhaling vapor created by an electronic cigarette or a vaporizer. The vapor is usually produced from an e-liquid, dry herb, concentrate, or other materials.
A vaporizer is an electric device that converts the vaping material into vapor. Powered by a battery, the device comprises the main console or housing, atomizer or cartomizer, and cartridges. The device draws its juices from the battery and heats the components in the atomizer or cartomizer, which connects to the vaping material, transforming it into vapor which the user inhales.
Materials that can be Vaped
While e-liquids are the most commonly used material, other components like waxy concentrates and dry herbs are also used by some vapers. For instance, e-liquids vaporizers feature a tank or a cartridge, while a dry herb vaporizer comes with a heating chamber. Those who fancy using different materials usually go for multipurpose vaporizers that allow them to switch cartridges.
Vapor in a Vaporizer
Vapor can be described as “a substance diffused or suspended in the air which is originally a liquid or solid turned into a gaseous form.” The gaseous form of any of the aforesaid vaping material can be defined as the vapor in a vaporizer. The vapor is ideally thicker than smoke, but it smells comparatively better and dissipates into the air much quicker than smoke.
e-Juice and e-Liquid
E-juice is also called e-liquid. It is the main material used in a vaporizer. It consists of PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerin) base, along with flavorings. Some e-juices also contain nicotine. Unlike the smoke produced by a traditional cigarette contain tobacco, most e-liquids produce pleasant-smelling vapor.
How Will I Feel After Vaping?
Depending on the vapor created by the vaporizer, a vaper is likely to feel wetter and heavier. Compared to smoking traditional cigarettes, vaping is a more pleasant experience. Moreover, it is flavorful and aromatic due to the flavors of the e-juices.
There’s no dearth of flavors in the market. Some online retailers allow vapers to blend and even create their flavors by mixing and matching them.
Vaping Experience in Words
Vaping experience can vary from person to person, which means it is near impossible to describe it in words. VapingDaily’s two employees who have been smoking for 6 and 10 years and now have been vaping for over two years said:
“[Unlike smoking] vaping is lighter on the lungs, and I could hit a vape nonstop all day. When smoking, I can only smoke so many before feeling ill…flavor vaping is, of course, delightful and delicious.” – Vin
“While it took me a while to get used to the vapor, now I totally love how my teeth and lungs are happier, not to mention the amazing variety of flavors I can choose from. I’m never going back.” – Teressa
Things you Need to Start Vaping
- Starter Kits
If you are a beginner, a starter kit is what will open the vaping realm for you. Featuring all basic components of a device such as coils, tanks, and mods, it introduces new vapers to vape products. Moreover, these kits come with a slew of other accessories such as tools, replacement parts, and chargers. Starter models are usually for vaping e-juice. There are dedicated devices for beginners who want to give dry herb and concentrates vaping a shot.
Kits are associated with an advanced level of vaping than basic cig-a-likes. To use these devices, all the vaper needs to do is to open the box, take out the device and start puffing.
As a user, you need to put in more effort into using starter kits. The devices need uncomplicated assembly, aside from requiring regular cleaning and maintenance. First off, users will learn to fill the e-juice tank and about different vape settings such as variable wattage control and temperature.
- Electronic Cigarettes (E-Cigs)
Popularly known as cig-a-likes (as they bear a striking resemblance to traditional cigarettes), these devices are the size of a pen. They are crafted to look like a traditional cigarette. Usually available as a complete starter kit, electronic cigarettes come with batteries, a charger, and refillable or pre-filled cartridges.
While compared to other vape product, an e-cig carries a more affordable price tag, they offer restricted experiences as far as vaping is concerned. The kit can be used right out of the box, even by those who have little or no previous knowledge or experience. It is a great choice for those starting vaping.
One of the biggest USPs of e-cigarettes is that it is touted as a safer alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes. They offer similar sensations that a smoker derives while smoking cigarettes. Low-strength, moderate or low throat hits can be viable options for beginners.
- Vape Mods
An ideal choice for expert vapers, vape mods is the real deal. They offer extreme vaping experiences and usually retail for 30 to $300 or above. With a vape mod, you can vape almost all types of materials such as dry herbs, wax concentrates, and of course, e-liquids.
There are hybrids vape mods available in the market that allows you to vape different materials by swapping cartridges. A vape mod isn’t necessarily easy on the pocketbook, but you can buy affordable e-liquids after the initial purchase.
This could be more economical as compared to smoking cigarettes in the long run. It is recommended that you buy the mod only from reliable and well-known brand.
- Dab Wax Pens
Dab pens are designed to allow a vaper to vape wax and oil concentrates. They feature a one-button control or come with LCDs for adjustable features. Dab pens are compact and easy-to-carry. Moreover, they are backed by built-in batteries, and use the heating element to vape extracts.
A “dab” or “dabbing” originally referred to heating a metal nail to inhale the vapor from a marijuana extract. Dabbing still means the same thing, although vapers have now adopted a different way. Dabbing has now become a lot easier, thanks to newfangled devices that are powered by a battery and offer adjustable settings.
- E-Liquids (E-Juices)
The type and brand of e-liquid used determine the flavor quality of a vaper’s vaping experience. In other words, choose your e-juice wisely as they enhance or ruin your overall vaping experience. Beginners are advised to buy e-juices from reputable and well-known brands, given that low-quality liquids often contain unlisted ingredients and other harmful contaminants.
Is Vaping Safer Than Smoking?
The burning question popping inside everyone’s mind in the past months is whether or not vaping is a safer alternative to smoking traditional cigarettes than contain tobacco, tar, nicotine and other harmful substances that can cause cancer and other deadly diseases. The answer is, is, unfortunately, unclear.
Here are some statistics against and in favor of the health benefits of smoking:
- According to Public Health England, vaping is at least 95 percent safer than smoking.
- Vaporizers are not as hazardous as traditional cigarettes, and vaping can prove to be an effective cessation tool, according to the American Heart Association.
- Even if there are risks involved with vaping, its benefits simply outweigh them. The Royal College of Physicians deems vaping as the first genuine way of helping smokers to kick the conventional butt.
- The amount of erratic organic compounds detected in the exhaled vapor is lower than both exhaled smoke, and normal breath says, Spanish Council of Scientific Research.
- WHO (World Health Organization) reported that vaping can encourage teens and young adults to take on smoking cigarettes.
- According to research conducted by the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the impact of vaping and smoking are almost the same as far as restricting the crucial immune system-related genes is concerned.
- How to Vape without Risking Your Life
You can follow these tips to keep yourself and those around you safe:
- Do not start vaping if you don’t already smoke. It is imperative for you to bear in mind that nicotine is highly addictive. Moreover, it causes health problems of its own even if you have never smoked a tobacco-based cigarette before. Taking on addiction for the sake of vaping isn’t a smart thing to do.
- While choosing the vaping gear, ensure you are buying the products from well-known and renowned brands only. Going for low-quality alternatives can pose numerous threats, as well as risks to your health that may not even be connected to vaping.
- Do not vape where smoking is restricted.
- Eliminate nicotine from the e-liquid to lead a healthier lifestyle. Most manufacturers enable you to choose the strength of nicotine in your e-liquid. You can gradually reduce the intake until you can vape e-liquid without nicotine in it.
- Always purchase child-proof bottles for storing your e-liquid, and keep them in a place where children and pets cannot easily get their hands on it. Note that nicotine-containing e-liquids are more often than not highly poisonous if ingested.
- Be extra careful with the device’s batteries, particularly if your device is backed by 18650 vape batteries. Resort to using only the charger recommended by the maker for charging the device. Avoid overcharging and over-discharging the batteries and store them in a safe place, preferably in a plastic case. Do not carry loose batteries in your pocket.
- Unless you are very well acquainted with how a vape mod works and the Ohm’s law, avoid building your mods.
Conduction vs. Convection Vaping
There are two types of vaporizers available on the market: conduction- and convection-style vaporizers.
- How does conduction vaping work?
Heat gets transferred from the heating chamber, coil or heating plate directly to the material. The result is a quick heat-up and the vaporizer is ready to be used within a few seconds. On the downside, this can lead to an uneven energy transfer, and cause the burning of the material.
- How does convection vaping work?
Convection vaping involves heating the material by blowing hot air through it. Without any sort of direct contact, the material is converted into vapor. The air flows through the material uniformly; convection vaping results in a pleasant taste. It is worth noting though; the vaporizer may take some time to reach the highest temperature level. Convection vaporizers usually carry steeper price tags.
- What is sub-ohm vaping?
The resistance of the current flow is measured in Ohm. Resistance alludes to how much opposition a material offers to the flow of an electrical current. Sub-ohm vaping refers to vaping using a coil with a resistance of less than 1 ohm. Sub-ohm vaping causes a larger current flow through the coil and produces stronger vapor and flavor. First-timers are likely to find sub-ohm vaping a bit too intense.
I hope this comprehensive guide may have answered some of the questions you had about vaping and vape products, giving you a better understanding of what vaping refers to. I would like to mention that regardless of what advantages vaping has over smoking traditional cigarettes, do not start vaping due to peer pressure or to look cool among your school or college friends as the risks involved in vaping are still unclear.
For example, most e-liquids comprise nicotine, which has been described as a habit-forming substance and can be poisonous if consumed. While it is near impossible to either confirm or deny the risks involved with vaping, it does lack a few harmful components found in traditional cigarettes.
Citing the increasing cases of vaping-linked lung illnesses in the U.S., the United States of America, India, and a few other countries have moved to ban the sale of vape products. As a result, e-cigarettes makers such as Juul have had to terminate some of its top executives, to revive their business strategy.